Burn Permits

Current Fire Rating


Purchase a Burn Permit

Burning permits are available for purchase at the following locations: 

  • Town of Penetanguishene Municipal Office, 10 Robert Street West, Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
  • Penetanguishene Public Library during regular library hours.

Permit Requirements

Open air burning permits are required for all open air burning in the Town of Penetanguishene. Burning permits are issued to property owners. If you are a tenant of a property, written permission is required by the property owner or the owner can purchase the permit on your behalf.

Residents must strictly adhere to the guidelines of the Open Air Burning By-law.  Please remember that failure to follow these guidelines and restrictions may result in your permit being revoked and possible fines. You are responsible for your fire and you are liable if it gets out of control. 

Tips for Burning Responsibly

Outdoor fires can be dangerous, especially if they are left unattended or get out of control. Check out these tips for burning responsibly and help keep your family and community safe while enjoying the outdoors.

Additional Resources

Fire Safety inspections of various occupancies are conducted on a request or complaint basis, as required by The Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997.

In addition, a number of buildings have been identified for inspections based on the nature and occupant load of the building.

Fire safety information and advice is made available to residents and property owners to assist them in reducing the likelihood of a fire and to ensure they know the appropriate actions to take in the event of a​fire.

Clean wood may be burned on the property where it was generated provided that the requirements of the Municipal Fire Permit have been complied with. As per MOE regulations, once wood from land clearing operations, including stumps, has been removed from a property it is to be considered "Wood Waste".

For the disposal of this material, the Ministry of Environment issues "Stump Dump" certificates of approval for disposal sites. Once waste wood is removed from a property, the wood waste is not to be open-air burned as a method of disposal.

The open-air burning of "Waste Materials" is not permitted in Ontario.

​Every home in Ontario must have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas. It's the Law!​


It is the responsibility of homeowners to install and maintain smoke alarms on every storey of their home and outside sleeping areas.


It is the responsibility of landlords to ensure their rental properties comply with the law.


If you are a tenant of a rental property and do not have the required number of smoke alarms, contact your landlord immediately. It is against the law for tenants to remove the batteries or tamper with the alarm in any way.

Failure to comply with the fire code smoke alarm requirement could result in a ticket for $235 or a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals or $100,000 for corporations.

When installing smoke alarms, refer to the manufacturer's instructions for information about correct placement.

  • Test your smoke alarms every month using the test button.

  • Replace smoke alarm batteries at least once a year, and whenever the low-battery warning chirps.

  • Smoke alarms don't last forever. Replace smoke alarms with new ones if they are more than ten years old.

  • Steam from the shower or cooking in the oven, stove or toas​ter can cause smoke alarms to activate. Do not remove the battery. Instead, try moving the alarm to a different location, or purchase a smoke alarm with a hush feature that will temporarily silence the alarm. ​

For more information about smoke alarms, contact your Fire Department.​

Members of the public are asked to Canadian Power Sail Squadrons to dispose of any flare or fire work remains. 

Georgian Bay Association has a number of disposal days planed throughout the summer. For the full list, please visit their website: https://georgianbay.ca/flare-disposal-days-are-back/

Policing services are provided under contract by the Southern Georgian Bay Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).

Scroll to top