Proper Steps to Tree Care
- During periods with little or no rain and when no watering ban is in effect, water your tree twice a week; when the weather is cooler, such as in the spring or the fall, water less frequently
- Be careful not to over water your tree as this may cause the leaves to turn yellow and fall off
- When watering your tree, provide the equivalent of about 2.5 cm (one inch) of water. Set up a garden hose to trickle water at the base of your tree for about 30 minutes or use a watering can to apply approximately 25 - 30 litres (6 - 8 gallons) of water.
Soil and Mulch Around Your Tree
- Do not add soil around the tree trunk as this may cause decay to the trunk and possibly cause the tree to die.
- An organic mulch of shredded bark or wood chips is beneficial for your tree to retain soil moisture, moderate soil temperatures and reduce competition from grass and weeds. When mulching your tree, provide a layer of 5 - 10 cm (2 - 4 inches) of mulch over the root area.
Tree stakes are only required to support your tree for two full growing seasons. If tree stakes in your boulevard need to be removed, please contact us as noted on this page