Utility Payments

Quarterly Utility Billing Dates

  1. Period of January 1st to March 31st - Due 2nd week of May
  2. Period of April 1st to June 30th - Due 2nd week of August
  3. Period of July 1st to September 30th -  Due 2nd week of November
  4. Period of October 1st to December 31st - Due 2nd week of February

As part of our ongoing effort to be environmentally friendly, The Town of Penetanguishene is offering e-billing as a method of delivering utility bills to our water and wastewater customers. If you would prefer to have your utility bills e-mailed to you, simply complete the attached e-bill form and return it to the Town of Penetanguishene. No paper copy of your utility bill will be issued if you choose this delivery option.

Summary of Water and Wastewater Billing

The Town of Penetanguishene converted from a flat rate water billing system to a metered billing system in 2005. All Residential and Multi-Residential Properties are billed on a quarterly basis, while the Large Industrial and Institutional Properties are billed monthly. The billing is made up of the following components:

  1. All properties are billed for water based on the number of cubic meters consumed within the quarter.
  2. To cover the cost of wastewater collection and treatment services, all properties that are connected to Municipal sewers are billed a sewer surcharge, which is a percentage charge based on the water consumption.
  3. In addition, the bill consists of a flat water charge and a flat sewer charge (if the connection to the Municipal Sewer is available) regardless of any water being consumed.

Responsibility for Consumption

Owners are reminded that all water that passes through their meter is their responsibility. Be aware of leaks, underground sprinkler systems, running toilets, and open faucets. Over an extended time, the cost of wasted water can add up.

Utility Payment Options

Cheques should be made payable to The Town of Penetanguishene.

Town of Penetanguishene
10 Robert Street West, P.O. Box 5009
Penetanguishene, Ontario L9M 2G2

Cheques, payable to the Town of Penetanguishene, placed in an envelope may be dropped off at Town Hall in the drop box located at the front doors. Please do not leave cash in the Drop Box. 

Payments can be made by cash, cheque, or debit in person at Town Hall located at 10 Robert Street West between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding holidays. 

Post dated cheques, payable to the Town of Penetanguishene, will be held for deposit until the date of the cheque.

Utility bills can be paid online or by telephone through financial institutions using the utility account number as the account number. Search for "Penetang Water" as the payee. Please allow 3-5 days for the funds to reach the Town of Penetanguishene.

Present your utlity bill at most banks/financial institutions to make a payment. Please allow 3-5 days for the funds to reach the Town of Penetanguishene.

The Town of Penetanguishene offers a Pre-Authorized payment plan for utility payments. To sign up for pre-authorized payments, please contact our finance department, finance@penetanguishene.ca or fill out the form. 

How To Enroll in Pre Authorization Plans (PAP) 

  1. Complete the PAP Application Form. (If you own more than one property in Town, please complete a separate form for each property).
  2. Attach a VOID cheque to the application form (line of credit cheques and credit cards cannot be used).
  3. Return the application form and void cheque to the Town Hall or email it to finance@penetanguishene.ca 
  4. You may cancel your authorization at any time with 30 days' notice to the Finance Department. If you change bank accounts, please notify the Finance Department in writing 30 days in advance of the change. We will not stop payments after the 21st of the month.

Notice to Multi-Residential Property Owners (Properties occupied by tenants)

The Town of Penetanguishene sends all utility bills to the property owner. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that the bills are paid. Any unpaid charges will be added to the property's tax account. 

Landlords who wish to have tenants receive the utility bills must fill out a Landlord Consent Form. 

Scroll to top