The Heritage Penetanguishene Committee represents the various heritage interests in our community in the preservation, presentation and promotion of local heritage.
The Museum & Heritage Advisory Committee shall oversee the following functions, determine action in accordance with delegated authority, make recommendations to Recreation & Community Services Section, or receive information:
- To collect, maintain and provide resources for archival, historical, and genealogical research.
- To collect, conserve, preserve and exhibit artifacts and historical materials that pertain to the history of Penetanguishene and surrounding communities.
- To serve as a focal point for community participation and engagement through the hosting of events and activities.
- Expand awareness and appreciation of heritage and history through education, interpretation and accessible programming for all age groups.
- Expand and develop collaborative relationships with stakeholders and individuals to serve the needs of the community and the museum.
- Promote and market the museum and the Town of Penetanguishene as an attractive destination for local visitors and tourists.
- Evaluate properties of architectural and historical significance within the Town of Penetanguishene and recommend formal designation under the Ontario Heritage Act.
- Review and approve modifications to structures and Heritage Tax Rebates designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.
- Receipt and approval of road names.
- Host annual events, seminars or workshops related to heritage preservation and promotion to the extent provided for in the annual budget.
Joining a Committee
The Town of Penetanguishene relies on its citizens to volunteer their time and expertise by serving on various boards and committees. If you are interested in applying to be a part of a committee, please fill out the application form below, and submit it to the Municipal Clerk.