From the Desk of Mayor Rawson & Council #9
What a tremendous event our 75th Winterama was. Winterama, would not be as successful without the commitment, passion and desire of everyone that participated in the event and the countless hours of volunteerism. I am thankful to everyone for your contributions in making the 75th a great success!
It has been a few weeks since the last message, as our last council meeting was on February 8th, 2023. Even though there has not been a meeting, a lot of work has been done by your council and municipal staff.
If you have any questions you would like answered, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - I will be doing a regular question-and-answer period with Rogers local TV as well as the Midland Mirror and Midland Today papers. Ask your questions to ensure we can keep you updated on what is important to you.
I have had people reach out thankful for our informational article in the Midland Mirror, our council has committed budgetary dollars focused on keeping you informed. This regular submission in the Midland Mirror as well as quarterly mailouts to you are ways in which we are focused to keep our community engaged and informed.
This communication is available on our website, and at locations within the community (Town Hall, Library, Arena, Georgian Village, Bayfield House). If you know of any other locations that can benefit, please reach out and let us know.
UPCOMING COUNCIL EVENTS
Wednesday, March 8th, 2023 @ 6:15 pm - Town of Penetanguishene Special Council Meeting. At this meeting, we will be moving into a closed session to discuss: Drainage Improvements within Phase 2 of the Harbour Pointe Subdivision; Sale of 92 Shanahan Road.
Wednesday, March 8th, 2023 @ 7:00 pm - Town of Penetanguishene Council Meeting. We will have a presentation to recognize volunteers from Winterama. Following we will have a presentation by the South Georgian Bay OPP, Annual Report for 2022.
We will discuss a few matters for consideration:
- Community Based Strategic Plan – Steering Committee
- Champlain Shores – Initial Acceptance of Municipal Works on Fox Street
- Safe Restart Agreement – Phase 4 Transit Funding for 2022
- Council will be reviewing and potentially adopting the Committee of the Whole Report from – February 8, 2023
Additionally, Council will be discussing a motion regarding Economic Development Corporation of North Simcoe (EDCNS), regarding Governance, Strategic Plan, Budget, and potential withdrawal from EDCNS by the Town of Penetanguishene.
Council will consider adopting several new by-laws:
- Agreement with North Simcoe Girls Hockey Association
- Agreement with Penetanguishene Jr “C” Hockey Club
- Agreement with Penetanguishene Minor Hockey Club
- Agreement with Penetanguishene Skating Club
Following the Council meeting, Council will convene as Committee of the Whole. The meeting agenda and how to participate can be found online: As a highlight, Committee will be discussing:
- Transportation & Environmental Services – Chair: Councillor Marchand
- Consent Agenda Items (Midland Penetanguishene Transit Ridership Quarterly Update; Ojibwa Landing Ecological and Human Health Risk Assessment – Project Update)
- St. Andrews Village Development Pre-Servicing Agreement Subdivision Bond
- Chatham Street Change Orders
- Recreation & Community Services – Chair: Councillor Waters
- Consent Agenda Items (County Road 93 Entrance Sign; Museum Membership Partnership; Museum & Heritage Advisory Committee Minutes)
- Ganaraska Hiking Trail
- Bee City Canada
- Great Lakes Local Action Fund - Naturalization Project
- Georgian Queen Agreement 2023-2027
- Friends of the Penetanguishene Sports Hall of Fame
- Planning & Development – Chair: Councillor Vadeboncoeur
- Consent Agenda Items (Complete Application for Draft Plan of Subdivision File No. PEN-SUB-2023-01 and Zoning By-law Amendment File No. Z.A. 3/2023 – 138 Robert Street East; Short Term Rental Licensing and Administrative Monetary Penalties By-law Update; Complete Application for Zoning By-law Amendment File No. Z.A. 2/2023 – 1056 Fuller Avenue; Heritage Act and Heritage Register Update; Committee of Adjustment Meeting Minutes; Monthly Municipal Law Enforcement Activity; OLT Decision New Zoning By-law 2022-17)
- Proposed amendment to Littering By-law 2012-13
- Proposed By-law permitting the use of All Terrain Vehicles on municipal roadways
- Terms of Reference – Town Dock Technical Advisory Committee of Council
- Parkland Dedication By-law
- Finance & Corporate Services – Chair: Councillor Desroches
- Consent Agenda Items (2022 Annual Remuneration Report for Council, Boards and Committees)
If you want to review the agenda, you can find it here, or you can watch the Council Meeting live on the Town’s YouTube channel. As always, we welcome your participation and comments at all of our meetings.
Past Month’s Events
Wednesday, February 8th, 2023 @ 7:00 pm - Town of Penetanguishene Council Meeting. A Public Meeting was held regarding a Zoning By-Law Amendment – Removal of the Holding (H) Symbol for 284 Watson Road.
A presentation was made to Burkevale School students for winning a national space competition. As well, a presentation was made to the Penetang Flames U13 team for winning the International Silver Stick Tournament.
- Committee of Whole Report was adopted from January 11, 2023
- Special Committee of the Whole Report as adopted from January 25, 2023
- 2023 Final Budget was adopted
- Pre-Servicing Policy was adopted
- Town Dock Technical Advisory Committee Terms of Reference was deferred
- Securing Canada’s $ 1 Billion Investment in a Strengthened Freshwater Action Plan
- A Notice of Motion regarding – Economic Development Corporation of North Simcoe was presented (Budget, Governance, Strategic Plan)
- By-Laws (Appoint Fire Chief, Amendment to Zoning By-Law 2000-02 Remove Holding “H” Symbol from 284 Watson Road
UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS
How to keep up to date with Community Events
You can find community events on the town's website by visiting the Community Calendar. Subscribe to ensure you never miss an event. You can also submit any community events you would like to share with the community.
Ball Hockey Registration is Open
Registration is this week, Register Now!!
Registration is now open for the 2023 Penetang Midland Minor Ball Hockey League Season.
Register on or before March 10th to save with our Early Bird Fee.
Register by visiting the website --> www.pmmbhl.ca
There are three walk-in registration dates:
Tuesday March 7 Penetanguishene Arena 6:30 to 8:00 pm (Early Bird Fees Apply)
Thursday March 9 North Simcoe Sports and Recreation Centre 6:30 to 8:00 pm (Early Bird Fees Apply)
Thursday March 23 Penetanguishene Arena 6:30 to 8:00 pm (Regular Registration Fees Apply)
Please help spread the word about this communication and encourage others to subscribe. We have placed this newsletter throughout the community (arena, town hall, library) and are open to other sources. A summary of the month will be shared in the Midland Mirror, the fourth Thursday of each month.
Subscribe to Town of Penetanguishene News Portal
Who to contact?
- Roads and Sewer After Hours Line – 705-527-8210
- Municipal Law Enforcement Department – 705-549-7453 x 220
- OPP non-emergency number – 1-888-310-1122
- Submit building permit online
- Town of Penetanguishene – Recreation Programming Registration
- Submit an Online Complaint
- Telephone – 705-549-7453 – Monday to Friday (8:30am-4:30pm)
If you or someone you know has difficulty figuring out where to turn for help or want to learn about available resources, I encourage you to call 2-1-1. This free community service will help you find the right resources in our community.
Thank you, Meegwetch, Merci, on behalf of Council,