Fire Safety During Power Outages 

With the recent mass power outage that affected thousands of homes in the region, the Penetanguishene Fire Department received an increase in calls for service, related to carbon monoxide alarms. The main cause of these calls consisted of:  

  • Outdated alarms. 
  • Expired batteries. 
  • Improper use of backup power equipment (generators). 

Please adhere to the following safety information to ensure your home is protected from carbon monoxide and avoid false alarms. 

  • Always make sure your devices (smoke and CO alarms) are not past their expiration date. Most devices expire after 7-10 years and after are no longer adequate to provide sufficient detection. 
  • Routinely change batteries on all devices. It is recommended to change the batteries in your smoke and CO alarms twice a year. This allows your devices to function properly during a power outage. 
  • During a power outage while using a generator, make sure to follow all safety instructions including safe operating distances from your home, closing all windows and doors, and allowing for proper ventilation. 
  • Never use barbeques or other propane cooking appliances indoors. 
  • Have all fuel fired appliances regularly inspected by a certified technician. 
  • If your carbon monoxide alarm is activated, evacuate all residents, call 9-1-1, and wait for emergency responders outside. 
  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, poor concentration. 

For additional information or any fire safety related questions, please contact the Penetanguishene Fire Department at 705-549-7453 Ext. 705 or fireprevention@penetanguishene.ca 

Matthiew Bonnin

Fire Prevention Inspector
Scroll to top